Introduction to Fair Isle
Have you been longing to knit a beautiful Fair Isle project but had no idea how to start? Then this is the class for you! This single session class will cover what Fair Isle knitting is, how to hold your yarn, carrying your yarn properly throughout the piece, and the importance of yarn dominance, all while working up a beautiful cowl.
Prerequisites: knitting in the round, CO, k, p
Materials: US 7 24″ circular needles, approx. 100yds each of two colors of worsted weight yarn, copy of the See You at Rhinebeck pattern, tapestry needle
Cost: $20 per person, plus supplies, 8 student maximum
Dates and Times: Saturday, April 20th, 3:30-5:30pm
Instructor: Shea L.
Learn to Crochet
Have you been looking for a hobby to fall head-over-heels in love with? Look no further! This two session class will cover all of the basics you need to know as a new crocheter, all while making a bag you can carry anywhere. You’ll learn the chain, single crochet, and double crochet stitches as well as how to finish a project. We’ll also help guide you to a perfect first project to help continue your crocheting journey.
Materials: 1 US H crochet hook, 1 skein of light-colored worsted weight yarn (approx. 220yd), TNNA’s How to Crochet booklet, small tape measure or knitting gauge checker, tapestry needle
Cost: $40 per person, plus supplies, 6 student maximum
Dates and Times: Saturdays, May 11th & 18th, 3:30-5:30pm
Instructor: Andria M.
Learn to Read Charts
Many patterns these days are given in chart form only. This one session class will guide you through standard symbols and their meanings, basic chart reading, and simple lace knitting all while completing a cozy shawl.
Prerequisites: CO, k, p, k2tog, ssk, yo, BO (simple review will be given for k2tog, ssk, yo if needed)
Materials: 1 US 9 24″ or 32″ circular needle, 330yds sport weight yarn (can substitute DK), stitch markers, tapestry needle, crochet hook similar in size to needles and a length of smooth waste yarn for CO, copy of Shaelyn by Leila Raabe (available for in-store purchase)
Cost: $20 per person, plus supplies, 6 student maximum
Dates and Times: Tuesday, May 14th from 6-8pm
Magic Loop Socks
Learn how to knit in the round using one long circular needle, all while working up a lovely pair of socks! This three session class will cover how to use the Magic Loop method for small circumference in-the-round knitting, choosing the perfect sock yarn for your project, basic sock anatomy, and completing a sock worked from the top down, including how to do the Kitchener stitch.
Prerequisites: knitting in the round, CO, k, p, k2tog, ssk
Materials: 1 US 2 (3mm) 32” circular needle, 1 skein of fingering weight yarn (approx. 400yd), Churchmouse Classics Basic Sock pattern, tapestry needle
Cost: $60 per person, plus supplies, 6 student maximum
Dates and Times: Tuesdays, May 7th, 21st & 28th, 6-8pm
Instructor: Shea L.
What are your classes like?
It is our goal to help you learn new techniques in order to expand the knowledge of your chosen craft and have fun while doing it! Your Shop Theorist teachers have been carefully chosen and will do their absolute best to see that you succeed. Classes are usually offered while the shop is closed to help keep distractions to a minimum. In order to be sure you get the attention you deserve, our classes will be limited to 6 students (any exceptions will be noted). Each session will be no longer than 2 hours. The bottom line? We want you to have a good time learning and hope you enjoy the opportunity to get to know some of your fellow yarn theorists a bit better!
Help! I’m stuck on something we learned in class!
If you need some clarification of a new skill between sessions or after your class has ended, stop by during our regular business hours so one of our Shop Theorists can assist you. We want to be sure you end up with an amazing finished project!
What happens if I feel that I need some one-on-one time?
Private classes are offered as Shop Theorists and teachers are available, and at a rate of $20 per hour (minimum one hour). If interested, please let one of our Shop Theorists know so we can work to have some time scheduled just for you.
- Class enrollments are taken on a first come, first served basis. Payment is expected at the time of enrollment.
- Materials needed to participate in class must be purchased from String Theory Yarn Shop. This helps ensure that you are choosing appropriate materials and also helps us keep our doors open. As a result of this policy, you will receive 20% off of any items purchased for your enrolled class.
- We ask that you purchase and have yarn wound at least one day before your first session so class can start on time.
- Classes must meet the minimum requirement of three enrolled students in order to run. If there are not enough students enrolled by one week before the start of class, that class will be cancelled/rescheduled and you will have the option to transfer payment to another class or receive a refund.
- If you are unable to attend class for whatever reason you must notify us at least 48 hours before the first class session. If you do not notify us that you are unable to attend and do not show you will not be issued a refund.
- Our Shop Theorist teachers have worked hard to put lesson plans and materials together for your class. Please be respectful of them and your fellow students and arrive a few minutes before the start of class to get situated. We also ask that cell phones be turned off once class begins.
- Unless otherwise noted, all classes are for adults only.